Sunday, June 26, 2005

Long time no post

Well, I haven't updated this thing in a while, so I'll bring you up to date. I haven't been doing much really. Just working and riding a lot. Last Sunday, I got my first "race" under my belt. I don't know if you would call a Cat. 4 crit a race since it's more like the chariot race scene from Ben-Hur. Imagine if you will, 70 guys lining up for a race. One quarter of those guys know how to actually ride a bike and ride it fast. 50% just know how to make it go fast and can't make a straight line through a turn to save their lives. The last quarter of guys have the misguided belief that because this is the lowest class in Colorado road racing that it is for beginners. Sorry guys. No such thing as a beginners road race here. These are some pretty fit fuckers. I just kept praying I wouldn't be eating asphalt. One guy went down, but luckily he managed to land his face plant in someones front yard. I've read that if you do crits, it's not a matter of if you will wreck, but when you will wreck. Here is a good definition of a criterium. The Cat. 4 crits around here are 45 minutes.

Long story boring, I gut cut off by one freaking guy 4 times and a couple of other times by some other guys. How did these guys get so fast on a bike without learning to ride it. Bottom line, I got cut off by the one guy with a lap and a half to go. It was only a .7 mile circuit with 6 turns. With a lap and a half to go everyone is balls to the wall. If you have to tap your breaks, which I did, consider yourself relegated to the back of the pack. I managed to pass a handful of guys on the final sprint, so I wasn't quite DFL.

I need to get to bed, so I'll have to update you later on my first post-surgery mountain bike race that took place Saturday in Crusty Butt.

Later Aight.

No comments: