Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Crested Butte

Well, it's been a few days since the race, but I thought I would type something up anyway. This was a beast of a race for the first one back. 30 miles with 1800 ft of climbing per lap. That's what the website is, but those guys always exaggerate. My dad did a lap, and his computer said 9 miles with 1500 ft of elevation gain. Either way, that's a lot of climbing in a short distance, which means all the climbs were steep. Not my forte. Steep climb, short descent, steep climb, short descent. Not much rest.

All things considered, I guess I did ok. I wasn't terribly happy with my time, but I did it a little faster than I did a few years ago. I didn't fade on the last lap like I have had a tendency to do in the past. In fact, I think I made up a few places on the last lap. I ended up 9th with a time of just under 2:55. I definitely expected a lot more, but I guess I shouldn't since all the other guys had race fitness and I didn't.

The new Yeti did ok. I wasn't horribly happy with the way it was riding, but that isn't the bike's fault. I rode it more in the race than I had at all before. I need to get the fork and shock dialed in and it should be like butter. I think I have the air pressures right and just need to mess with the rebound. Either that or they just need some breaking in. All in all, it's a great bike. Can't wait to get it smoothed out.

This coming weekend is the Eldora race, which, matches my strengths a little better. Short climbs, steady climbs, some flats, and fast descents. I had a pretty good race there last year, so with a race under my belt and a taper week, hopefully I'll see this coaching and training come together.

Pretty dull post. Sorry, I'm tired.

No comments: