Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Chasing The Sun

That title made more sense a few days ago, but I'm keeping with it anyway. My internet connection at home doesn't seem to work at night. Not really sure why, but I'm pretty much at the end of my rope with it.

I got back from Savannah (Tybee Island) Sunday night. Good training weekend for me. I mean anti-training weekend. I'm not sure I could have done many more things that would negate all the time I've spent on the bike.

Tracy and I went to Savannah for Shawn's wedding. Shawn is Tracy's brother. We didn't even wait to get there before we started cracking open the beers. Once we got to the pad on
Tybee Island, we HAD to open up a couple more even though it was already 12 AM local time.

I saw a couple of people from high school that I haven't seen in probably 10 years. It was amazing to me that they hadn't ballooned up like what I experienced at my class reunion back in October. Easy to understand considering that everything in Georgia is cheap and fried.

On Friday, we woke up in search of said cheap and friend food. I got a plate of bacon, eggs, grits and toast for $3. That is cheaper than the Waffle House! The place is called the Sugar Shack and I would suggest swinging by if you are ever on Tybee Island.

After breakfast, ol' Fred, Shawn and Tracy's dad, put together a softball game. I can't remember the last time I picked up or swung at a softball. With my gimpy arm, I'm not sure you can really call it that. I did manage to rip a couple of liners into the outfield with my patented one armed swing. When I was in the field, I had to let the balls drop and then field them. Luckily it wasn't a real game. After the game, of course you need some beer, so the drinking began again. That was about 2 PM, and unfortunately, the drinking didn't cease until 4 AM. The last 2 hours of which were in the hot tub. We managed to get about 8-9 people in a 4 person tub. That led to a nice little infection for all the people in the house. More on that later.

Saturday was wedding day. Tracy, Chris, and I went in to Savannah to River St. and got a bite to eat at a cool Irish Pub. Reubens for Tracy and me and some shepherd's pie for Chris. Good eats and a good brew called Charleston Brown. Were talking doo doo brown here folks, but it went down good nonetheless. We proceeded to cruise down River St., which for those of you that don't know is a little like Bourbon St. Not nearly as big and crazy, but you can get booze to go!! You've gots to do that whether you want any or not.

After a few hours in Savannah, we pointed the car back toward Tybee to track down some oysters. We found the oysters in a dingy little bar on the main road. Got a dozen and a pitcher of beer for $10. Not bad, and good service too. Now back to the house to get ready for the wedding.

The wedding was on the beach, and I can honestly say that is the most beautiful wedding I've ever seen. Small affair at sunset with Shawn and Stephanie's (the bride) pictures being taken in the last remaining light of the day. I was able to take some fine shots myself, so I'm sure the pro will have some really nice shots.

The reception/dinner was at a hipper than Tybee place called Tango. Really good food, and I had more than one of a fru fru drink called a Pain Killer. That name was a little excessive for the amount of booze it had, but they were pretty damn good. Tasted like an Orange Julius with rum. This also led to the most uncomfortable part of the whole weekend. I guess Stephanie's family doesn't drink at all. They are sitting at their tables with their tea and water while the McGoos (name changed to protect the innocent) and Friends were pounding 'em back. Tense situation, and the non drinkers looked a little pissed. I thanked them for the dinner anyway.

Sunday was the day for good byes and the first signs of what is now known as hot tub leprosy. The first signs were acne all over the body, but we had no time for serious infections. I went with Tracy and Shawn to say goodbye to their family. It was then off to the airport were Tracy and I had to wait for 2.5 hours before our flight left. We eventually got hungry and decided a little more liquor and beer would probably be best due to our concern about quitting cold turkey and the onset of DTs. The flight for Atlanta left 20 minutes after the lunch. We got to Hotlanta with another 2.5 hours to spare, so we went in search of some new Braves hats to avoid drinking. Enough time was wasted that we only had time for one beer, and that beer was the last of our experiment to see if we could still hang with the college kids.

On Monday, my lymph nodes were really swollen. Tracy and I both decided to go the doctor and that happened today. Turns out we have some thing called hot tub philiculitis or something like that. The "hot tub" is really part of the name. After a few calls, I discovered that everyone in the house had symptoms. I haven't found out about Shawn and Stephanie due to the fact that they are somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean without cell phone service. Tracy and I's doctors hooked us up with some heavy duty antibiotics to knock this shit out. I guess this kind of thing is pretty common, so take note kiddos, you have to drink a lot more booze than we did that day to kill off the bacteria and we drank a lot.

One more thing. What happened to the Fassa train and Pettachi? This says it all. The Giro has been exciting race already, and I haven't seen any video yet. Just pictures and live reports. The real race begins tomorrow.

That's my boy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say I barfed a little in my mouth when you said everyone with the hot tub disease woke up with pimples all over. It really made me sick.

But, on a related note, I had a dream that J-Lo and I had a similar body-covering, zit/cyst disease a few weeks ago. Very creepy and barf-inspiring, as well. I have no idea where that dream came from, but i was nauseated the rest of the day. Thanks for re-igniting that one.