Monday, June 26, 2006

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

Unfortunately, I haven't been playing with either of those the last 3 weeks.

Fortunately, 3 almosts have resulted in my best set of results in my (not so) illustrious racing career. It started with the last race I mentioned in a previous post. 2nd place in a STXC. Two weekends ago was a cross country race in Winter Park. 22.5 miles and 4200 ft. of climbing. I'm not sure about that last stat because my time was 1 hour 46 minutes. Damn fast for that distance and elevation gain. Again a 2nd place. I actually lead that race for a while, but ended up losing it on the 2nd to last lap.

This past weekend was a race in Crested Butte. Tough one too. The promoters claim it's a 10 mile lap with 1800 ft of climbing. This always a hard race, but also one of my favorites. I felt great, followed my game plan, and thought I had pulled off a win. Even the guys I usually race with thought I won, but some local schmocal dude went off the front at the beginning of the race and stayed away. Somehow I missed that, or forgot about him. People usually take off a little too fast in this race and eventually pop due to the length and climbing. I guess I didn't mark the guy in my mind thinking that would happen to him. Dang locals.

That's the way racing goes though. I was happy with the result. I was really happy with the free beer after the race.

I was once told by a friend that is much faster than I am, "learn how to win." He said this to me when talking about the possibility of upgrading to semi-pro. I've taken that to heart. I definitely learned that lesson this past weekend. I was able to catch up to the guy I thought was leading the race. This guy is a good rider, and I was able to get away from him and to the line first. Now I just have to snatch the real deal. Maybe this weekend.

One of the cool things about racing here in Colorado is that you get to hang out with a World Champion. Not only a World Champion, but THE VERY FIRST cross country mountain bike World Champion. Yes, Ned Overend. The man is a freak of nature. I think he'll be 51 this year and he is still out there puttin the hurt on some fast dudes half his age. Oh yeah, and he is retired.

I doubt he is on the dope. No reason for a retired 50 year old to do that, but there contiunes to fallout (alleged) from Operacion Puerto. The latest names to crop up. Tyler Hamilton and Jan Ullrich. Not good whether it is true or not. Just when this year's Tour looked like it was going to be one of the best in a while, it now looks like we are headed to another '98, or worse.

Remember Dopers Suck. I've been sporting these lately.

No comments: