Sunday, January 08, 2006

MMJ and why do I read magazines backwards

MMJ aka My Morning Jacket. These guys have been around a while, but I've just recently gotten into them. My boy Tre has been listening to them for a few years now. I, let's say, borrowed one of his MMJ albums when I went to visit his family in Indy, and I just recently bought the new album, Z.

It's pretty good stuff. The only thing I don't really like about the band is their tendency to "jam." I've never been a big fan of bands that do "jam." Especially with this band. The leader singers voice is like another instrument. I know, I know, vocals ARE instruments, but this guys voice is like another non human instrument. Whenever I'm listening to one of their songs, I wait with anticipation for is singing. So needless to say, I don't like the long instrumentals or "jams." I don't usually like it anyway. Not with rock bands anyway.

So, if you get a chance, I would recommend picking up a copy of Z. It was on a lot of mainstream and not so mainstream "best of 05" lists.

I also picked up Wolf Parade's Apologies to The Queen Mary. Another quality album. Some people are talking about how great it is, but I don't know if I hear greatness in it. However, it is definitely a good, enjoyable album. They sound like a lot of the band coming out of Canada and more specifically Toronto these days. A little The Arcade Fire with a little Modest Mouse. I can't recall some of the other bands coming out that area right now. Oh, Broken Social Scene. They seem to have a certain kind of thing going on up there right now. I guess that happens in a lot of cities with a big music scene. Good stuff from those people right now.

Thank god for Google. I use Gmail, Blogger obviously, and I also use Google Alerts that are delivered to my Gmail. They are essentially news clippers. Well, as you can tell, Wilco is my favorite band. They have kind of been on the DL lately, so I haven't really been checking into their website with regularity. Actually, I visited last week, and there was no knew content. Well lo and behold, this morning there was my Wilco Google Alert in my inbox. It said my boy Jeff was heading out on a solo tour, and guess what. He is playing at a small venue about 5 minutes from my house. I picked up a couple of tickets for next months show. Should be good. I don't know if it is really a Jeff Tweedy solo tour considering that John Stirrat and Nels Cline are going to be accompanying the lead singer. It's more like a 1/2 Wilco tour. So Wilco minus sonic stuff. Should be fun. Maybe he will belt out some old Uncle Tupelo stuff. Probably not, but one can hope can't he? What is a life without dreams?

I need to get on the road before the weather gets a little unfriendly, but I need finish up the topic here. I was sitting around reading some of the same Rolling Stone article that I alluded to in the previous post. I noticed that I pretty much ALWAYS read magazines from back to front. Why is that? I don't think it's abnormal. It seems a lot of people do that.

Oh well, there was some more funny stuff in the Worst Year Ever section. Fine, I'm going to type a piece in now whether or not in hindsight it doesn't seem that funny. "That dog they cloned in South Korea? Kind of creepy. But not nearly the blow the gene pool as the news that Britney Spears would now be eating for two with the full sanction of the medical community. Son Sean Preston was born in September; eleven weeks later, baby-daddy Kevin Federline had reportedly been given the boot. An actual K-Fed rap lyric: 'My prediction is that y'all gonna hate on the style we create.' Thanks, Nostradamus." There was some more to that section that I'm not going to plug in because you need to see the accompanying picture. I will tell you that the picture has a rather large and in charge Britney exposing most of her breasts as usual. This picture will probably keep me from ever looking at another picture of her again and saying, "daaaymmmn." anyway ol "K-Fed" is in the rear with a WT wife beater on (seems to fit him well, not the actual fit on him) carrying one of the stupid little purses to carry a squeaky little annoying dog along with you. Hey! You can't make Britney carry a 1lb dog around while she is pregnant.

No comments: