Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Road



I just finished up The Road by Cormack McCarthy. I had read his book Suttree when I was in college, and heard some good things about this book.

It's about a father and son that have survived an end of days type event. Actually, the son is born after the event. The author never states exactly what happened, but you get the idea that it was nuclear holocaust. They spend their time traveling a road to get to a warmer place, or perhaps just to keep moving.

It's a dark, sad, desperate and at times disturbing book, but I have to say, it's one of the more enjoyable books I've read. The book is definitely a quick read, which is the exact opposite of Suttree. It's open ended, but as much as I would like McCarthy to write a conclusion, I don't think it will happen.

I wish I could describe it better, but I'm in a end of day, post-exercise haze. I'm feeling kind of stupid at the moment.

Here is a good review from the New York Times. Warning: the review is definitely a spoiler, so don't read it all if you think you want to read the book.

Oh yeah, and I've dug up my Suttree book and started reading it again.

No comments: