Saturday, September 16, 2006

Response From Ken

It took him long enough. Sheesh.

See http://stabbedandstoned.blogspot.com/2006/06/enraged.html

Dear Alan:

Thank you for contacting me about the flag desecration amendment.

On June 27, the Senate voted on a constitutional amendment that would allow Congress to ban desecration of the American flag. The amendment received 66 votes -- one short of the two-thirds majority vote it needed to pass the Senate.

I voted for the amendment because I believe the flag is special and deserves our reverence and protection. The American flag is a unique symbol of our heritage, our principles, and everything the citizens of this great country have done to sacrifice for them. I do not believe that laws narrowly prohibiting the desecration of our flag undercut the principles embedded in the First Amendment.

Having said that, I understand the strong feelings of those who oppose this amendment, and I understand their argument that the freedoms that the American flag stands for – including the freedoms of speech and expression – are as important as the flag itself. We must not separate the flag from the cherished principles it represents.

In keeping with that concept, I believe it is wrong for proponents of the flag desecration amendment to question the patriotism of those who oppose it. In addition, for the same reason I believe the flag should be protected, I also firmly believe it should not be politicized for partisan gain. The American citizens who pledge allegiance to this flag, who believe in what it represents, and who live and work under it every day deserve better.

Finally, we should be working just as hard to strengthen our national and homeland security, improve our energy security, relieve the health care crisis, educate our children, and strengthen American families. I remain committed to fulfilling that obligation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,

Ken Salazar
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at http://salazar.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm and fill out the webform for a prompt response. Thank you.

No comments: