Monday, July 11, 2005

Racing, racing, racing


Well, that is what has consumed my life lately. Either getting ready for it, doing it, or watching it on TV.

How about the Tour? A few surprises and a lot of wrecks. Those guys were dropping like flies on yesterday's stage. Looked like mostly stupid crashes most likely caused by fatigued.

Lance found himself alone on the final climb of stage 7. It was a nice gradual climb, which, produced some really high speeds. T-Mobile definitely took advantage of Lance's solitude. Vinokourov, the Krazy Kazakh, accelerated several times, but LA was able to counter. Eventually, Kloden went out, and they let him go. In a short amount of time, he caught the race leader Weening, and they duked it out to the very end. Supposedly Weening crossed the line first. I think his slobber, as seen to the left, gave him the 1cm edge at the finish.

As far as yesterday's stage goes, you gotta give your props to the former MOUNTAIN BIKE racer Rasmussen. What a solo break for the win. I recorded that stage, and unfortunately, learned of the results, via my coaching website. I went to log in Sunday's ride, and right there in the top right corner it said, "Rasumssen takes stage." Damnitalltohell, I waited all day to watch the reply, and it wasn't nearly as exciting to watch knowing that his attack stuck all the way through. Good stuff nonetheless.

I did a short mountain bike race in Winter Park on Saturday. I had a fairly heavy week of training in the week preceding. Moderate volume and high intensity with the hardest effort on Thursday.

When I started to warm up for the race, I was definitely feeling that effort in my legs. With it being such a short race, I knew I was in for a little extra suffering. I actually had a pretty good start. I didn't feel like I had gone out that hard, but I looked back and no one was with me. The fast guys of the group eventually caught up, and my legs were feeling pretty tired from the get go. Good thing it was just a fun/training race.

With a little bit of luck and a lot of "sucking it up," I was able to get back on the podium for the first time in a while. With a 3rd place (out of only 8 guys), it was the bottom of the podium, but it's still the podium. I was only a minute and a half of the winner, a guy that wins some of the other local races, and I improved my time by a minute and a half over last year on the same course. Not bad for a tough training week. All and all I was happy with it.

Time to get ready for the National in Snowmass in a couple of weeks.

No comments: